Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Romans 1:1-32 (NIV)

Martin Luther considered Paul's letter to the Romans as the purest nugget of Christian faith. Luther felt so strongly about this that he thought everybody ought to memorize the letter. (Concordia Study Bible, page 1713)

Though there are, no doubt, differing opinions as to where Paul was actually sitting when he wrote this letter, most scholarly thinkers hold to the notion that Paul was in Corinth, or possibly Cenchrea which is a port city about six miles from Corinth (Romans 16:1).

He had gone to Corinth to collect the monies that were being held for the poor folks in and around Jerusalem. While Paul really really wanted to go to Rome to meet with the new churches there, he also knew that he was challenged by the need to go to Jerusalem first.But the churches in Rome had needs too and Paul wanted to minister to those needs of faith.

The year 57 A.D. seems likely for this letter. There were churches in Rome; had been there since that whole exciting event at Pentecost when they were present and received the outpouring of the Holy Spirit.

These Romans then brought the message of salvation back to Rome and established churches there, meeting safely in peoples' homes.

Except for moments of history, I'm not sure that it's all that important to know what month, what address, and who would be journeying to Rome with this letter. By that I mean that the power and beauty of the message itself is far more important to me than the minute details of Paul's itinerary. But that's just my point of view. Others will hold a different view that would propel them to discovering the names of Paul's hosts if they could, and that's fine too.

Paul introduces himself in the very first sentence of this letter. He very quickly reiterates the fact that Jesus Christ is the very personage of God who was promised to mankind through he prophets of old.

And Paul reiterates to the Romans (in verses 5-6) that he comes ...through him and for his name's sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

In verse 7, Paul addresses this letter to all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints.

Paul uses the word "saints" throughout his writings to mean Christians. Christians are saints because they have been named as righteous or holy by God, and they become even more so because of their welcoming the Holy Spirit into their hearts.

Paul wants the Romans to know that their faith is well known throughout the world and that he was praying for them every day. Paul also lets them know that if there's any way -- any possible way at all -- he would truly relish the idea of coming to Rome to worship with them and minister to them.

In verse 11, Paul says that he hopes to bring them "some spiritual gift" to make them strong.

In verses 16-17, we find the golden nugget of the New Testament that becomes a repeating theme in all of Paul's writings: I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jews, then for the Gentiles. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "The righteous will live by faith."Keep in mind that Paul uses the word "righteous" to mean having a right relationship with God.

In the very next verse, Paul says that the wrath of God is revealed from heaven to all the godless people and these godless people deny themselves the truth about God. That truth about God is very plain -- it's not hard to figure out at all -- because God makes it very plain. Since the very creation of the earth, God has made his truth known -- this truth is centered around his eternal power and divine nature. There is no excuse for not knowing this, but rather, godless people deny God's nature. For those godless people, there is God's wrath -- this is not a human anger but rather, a kind of disgust for this rejection that leads God to turn the godless people out to pursue their sins.

These are the people who Paul says in verse 25: They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator -- who is forever praised.

It reminds me of something a professor once said to a theology class I was in: "You worship the god at whose altar you bow."

If that "altar" is bags and bags of riches, then you have made wealth your idol.

If you are a workaholic, then you have made your job your idol.

And just in case the Romans didn't quite get the full idea of what he was talking about, Paul describes the ungodless in this way: They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice, they are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Discussion: If you embrace God in all his glory and live your life to be near him and feel his presence everywhere you go, then you know what Paul means by "righteous." On the other hand, if you feel a distance from God, like you aren't really all that connected, then you know that in your heart too. So how would you resolve that feeling of not being righteous?

Of these faith practices, which are the ones you exercise strongly and which are the ones you need to work on?

Prayer
Weekly worship and praise with other believers
Daily reading of God's word

Each and every one of us, because of our humanness, needs to exhibit great care that we do not make anything or anyone an idol. God is first -- everything else comes after that.

Re-read the final verses of this first chapter and compare it to what Christ said in John 10:27-30 -- My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.

How does this message from Christ compare to Paul's comment in verse 24: Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.

Satan lurks around here on earth. We must remain steadfast and vigilant to resist all temptations that Satan puts before us. We must choose God and know that the truth of God is that he is far more powerful than Satan.

We pray: Dear heavenly Father, I pray that your truth will rest upon me so that I can follow you alone.

I pray that you will give me the strength to deny Satan any entry whatsoever in my heart.

I pray that you will strengthen all our children and their spouses and also our grandchildren. Please keep them all safe in your tender care so that they continue to welcome your truth.

I pray that you will keep Quint in the safety of the palm of your hand, and for myself as well, as we go through our lives together.

I thank you for sending your son, Jesus Christ, to redeem me from all my sins. As I go through this preparation time of Lent, help me be mindful of this tremendous sacrifice that you have made for me and for all mankind, so that our sins will be washed away in the precious blood of Christ.

I pray that you will keep me close to you so that you will not have to come looking for me. Keep me near you. And I thank you so much for caring where I am and what I am doing. Amen.

No comments: